torsdag 20 mars 2014

General Tweaking

Hello. I haven't done that much this week, wich is quite strange considering that there is only one week remaining of the project. I would have done more but the truth is, I’m not entirely sure what there is left to do (that we still have time to implement and test properly). So, what I’ve actually done this week is: found some memory leaks and fixed them. We store all of our game objects in 2-3 vectors in our gamestate so that we easily can use them to check for collisions and stuff like that. The problem was that we didn’t delete them after each time we’ve used them, but instead just exited the gamestate went into the upgrade state and then back to the gamestate just creating them again. I’m not entirely sure why someone havn’t done this earlier but hey, it’s there now and that’s the important part. Another thing that I will do this weekend is fix our start menu. Currently it’s a bit buggy at best. That is if you don’t hit the “Options” or the “Exit” buttons. If you do, the whole thing crashes. The other thing that I am going to work on is the mouse tracking in the main menu. Currently it’s a bit off, so when you try to click on the “Start Game” button you have to click the bottom of it for anything to happen. I kinda know what the problem is, namely the way I wrote it to check if the mouse position is on the button doesn’t include any code to calculate the frames of the window, so it calculates the buttons positions via the upper left corner of it. This is possibly a not so good idea but that is why we are updating it. Another thing that I will be doing this weekend is adding the final art to the graphical user interface and reposition the things so that they fit together nicely:



This will probably take a bit of tweaking since the background art is a bit too big for the rest of the things and needs to be scaled down a bit but I am certain that I will get it done. After all, I don’t have much else to do and coding is fun =). I thing that will have to do for this week, the last of blog posts for the Gamedesign – Intro course. Overall I’d say that it’s been a quite interesting and fun experience that I’ve learnt quite a lot from. Let’s just hope that the things stick aswell =p
Good luck with the Theme-Park in a couple of weeks.

/Robin K

1 kommentar:

  1. Hello Robin! I can sympathise with not knowing what to do as it nears the end. You are not sure if you have enough time to add that new thing you wanted to add but you are not sure what you can do right know.
    On a more serious note, you have explained what you did, how you did it and gave a reason, although if you are not sure what more to say maybe someone someday would be really grateful if you explained memory leaks and what they are as well as why you should not have any in your program.
    Other than that, you might want to pay attention to spell check and maybe even double check the post for any errors as I found at least one near the end, "I thing that will have to do". As you can see, think has been misspelled(if you meant something else then I am sorry but I could not see any better context).
    One last note, while I, going the same university program as you do, understand what you mean with the Theme Park, someone else might read this and be somewhat confused, it is also a bit too informal and personal, directed solely at your fellow students in the program and any others connected to it that might decide to read it.

    SvaraRadera